What is a clove?
Clove, also known as the Syzygium aromaticum, is a small flower bud which is reddish brown in color. It is an herb and also used as a spice in savory dishes, desserts, and drinks. It has a very strong aroma and pungent taste. In Ayurveda, it has multiple benefits. One of the most prominent use of clove in Ayurveda is in dental health. It is essential to take a good care of dental and oral health to keep the overall health in check. Because of poor dental hygiene we can face several issues which can be very severe. Practicing good dental health with the right tools and ingredients is effective in long-term.
Is clove effective for dental health?
Clove contains a chemical which is known as eugenol. This chemical is extremely effective to fight toothache and cavities. It also helps to fight bacteria and protects teeth. Since the 19th century, most of the medicines contain eugenol in dentistry because of its analgesic, local anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial effects.
How to incorporate clove into you daily oral regime?
The best way to incorporate clove into you daily oral regime is by making its serum. You can easily use this serum in your daily life.
How to create an essential oil “tooth and gum” serum?
Take a shot glass – mix 1 teaspoon of organic vegetable oil from your store (it could be an olive oil, coconut oil, or a sesame oil) with 1 drop of Clove bud essential oil (therapeutic grade). Make a larger quantity (using this proportion) for use in your oral care routine and put this in a glass dropper bottle (buy this on Amazon or a natural grocery store). Try adding other bad bacteria fighters like Cinnamon essential oil.
Attention: Clove essential oil is very strong and should always be diluted (do not use straight).
- Use it with your dental floss: Apply this to your dental floss (you can use your fingertips or put the floss directly into a shot glass). Floss, as usual, paying close attention to the gum line (be gentle).
- Add it to your toothpaste: Apply your toothpaste or powder to your toothbrush, add a few drops of your serum.
- Have a toothache? Apply the mixture directly to the tooth and surrounding gum with your finger or a cotton swab.
Benefits of Clove for dental health:
- Clove helps to clean teeth & freshens mouth instantly.
- Clove relieves tooth pain and strengthens gums.
- Clove is an ayurvedic herb and it has anti-bacterial and gum tightening properties.
- Clove helps to fights cavities, pyorrhea, bleeding gums, gingivitis, sensitive teeth.
- Clove strengthens teeth and gums.
- Clove gives long lasting great refreshing taste.
- Clove acts as antiseptic and has antibacterial properties.
- Clove makes teeth white.
- Clove is the best pain relief herb which helps to keeps oral cavity in healthy state and freshens mouth.
- Clove also helps removes plaque and tartar.
Are there any side effects of using clove for dental health?
Clove is generally safe to use but continuous rigorous use of clove can have severe effects on the gums and inside of the mouth.
Written By: Syeda Saira