Tea for Blood Sugar Management
Looking for some warmth during winter season? What about a warming cup of tea that also helps control your blood sugar? I have a healthy Ayurvedic tea recipe that you can enjoy!
Mix the following herbs and spices together. Dried leaves and spices can be stored for a long period of time in a glass jar in a cool dark place.
Make a total of 100 grams of the following mix:
- Holy Basil or Tulsi – 25
- Cinnamon or Dalchini (chips) – 20
- Gymnema Sylvestre or gurmar- 20
- Fenugreek or methi – 10
- Orange Peel – 15
- Ginger or adrak – 10
Why these ingredients? Because each one contributes certain benefits for blood sugar or health.
How to Make the Tea?
Take a teaspoon of the Herbal mix and add it to a cup or use paper tea filters. Add hot water into the cup and cover for 10 minutes so the herbs are infused in water. Enjoy this tea 15 minutes before meals or 1 hour after meals.
Please speak with your doctor if you are any medication.
Benefits of this Tea:
- The herbs in the tea will balance erratic blood sugar levels.
- The tea will improve circulation and increase metabolism.
- It will reduce sugar and carbohydrate cravings.
- Taken regularly especially before meals will induce weight loss.
- It will reduce stress levels in the body.
Holy Basil is an important and sacred Ayurvedic herb that is warming, bitter, and pungent. It is great for vata and kapha. It is not the exact same as common basil, it is more pungent and bitter, with larger leaves. It contains antioxidants apigenin, eugenol, geraniol, linalool, and flavonoids that counteract free radical damage in the body. Studies show it lowers blood sugar, delays the development of insulin resistance, and reduces lipids.