In these days in the United States Hypothyroidism is the most common endocrine illness. About 20 millions of people are facing thyroid disorder in America.
But what exactly is hypothyroidism, and how can it be treated?
In Hypothyroidism the thyroid gland may not produce the enough hormones. This leads to fatigue, weight gain, dry skin and hair, constipation, depression and lethargy.
Hypothyroidism is most common in women after menopause or in older people who have lost their natural source of thyroid hormone. In some cases, it can be caused by an autoimmune disorder or cancerous tumors growing on the gland itself.
Main Cause of Hypothyroidism:
The exact cause of hypothyroidism isn’t known yet, but it may be caused by a genetic predisposition or other factors like stress or diet.
According to Ayurveda, Hypothyroidism can be caused by several factors like excessive heat in the body, toxic metals like lead or mercury in the body etc.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism:
- Ø Exhaustion or lack of energy
- Ø Gaining weight or difficulty in losing weight
- Ø Muscle weakness or lack of coordination
- Ø Dry skin, brittle hair and brittle nails
- Ø Difficulty concentrating and remembering thing
- Ø Depression or anxiety
Can Hypothyroidism be cured by Ayurveda?
Yes, it is somehow possible to treat Hypothyroidism with ayurvedic medicines and practices. There are many natural remedies for hypothyroidism and they have been used in India for centuries. These remedies help to increase the functioning of the thyroid gland and improve its health condition. Some of these natural remedies are mentioned below:
Ayurvedic Remedies for Hypothyroidism:
Here are few of the best Ayurvedic Remedies for Hypothyroidism
- Ø Get some vitamin D: Many Ayurvedic practitioners recommend getting some vitamin D along with your treatment for hypothyroidism. Vitamin D is considered vigorous for appropriate functioning of the thyroid gland. It can get naturally by exposing skin to sunlight on an empty stomach. But, if you are living in northern climate, it might be hard to get an adequate amount of sunlight during winter. In this case, you can take a supplement or eat fortified foods such as milk and cereal that have been fortified with vitamin D.
- Ø Eat cooked greens: It’s important that you eat cooked greens on a daily basis while following an Ayurvedic treatment plan for hypothyroidism. Cooked greens contain high amounts of minerals including vitamins A and C, folate, iron and calcium which can help in correcting this disease. They also contain trace minerals like selenium, zinc and magnesium.
- Ø Panchakarma: Panchakarma is one of the most popular Ayurvedic treatments for hypothyroidism because it helps cleanse your system from all toxins that affect your thyroid gland and metabolism and improve digestion by increasing its efficiency and supply more energy to working muscles. It also helps in improving blood circulation around the body so that more oxygen gets into the cells and nutrients get absorbed easily by them. This treatment is considered as one of the best alternatives to surgery if your condition doesn’t improve after trying other treatments.
- Ø Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is a great natural medicine for the treatment of hypothyroidism. It has anti-oxidant properties that help in fighting free radicals, which are the main cause of damage to cells and tissues in your body. It helps in reinforcement the immune system, refining digestion, and detoxifying the body. Apple cider vinegar can be taken as a supplement or can be drink with the meals.
- Ø Tulsi: This is a good herb for people to use. It is also called the Holy Basil and has been used for centuries in different parts of the world especially in India. Tulsi is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat various symptoms such as hypothyroidism, low libido and high cholesterol levels. It contains a lot of antioxidants which help in improving your immune system and also helps in removing toxins from your body. This herb can be taken as supplement in capsule form or you can make Tulsi tea at home.
- Ø Kanchnar Guggulu: It has the potential of antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it really effect for Hypothyroidism. It is an amazing ayurvedic formulation that helps greatly in maintaining the secretion of thyroid hormones.
- Ø Iodized Salt: Our body uses iodine to make thyroid hormones. That’s why an iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism. But, fortunately, deficiency is easy to prevent. Just add a dash of iodized salt to your main means and that should help you meet your requirements.
Ayurvedic Practices for Hypothyroidism:
Here are few of the best Ayurvedic Practices for Hypothyroidism:
- Ø Diet and Lifestyle Changes: You need to change your diet completely for about three months so that your body gets rid of all toxins present in it. You should eat only pure foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains which help in balancing your hormones. Avoid oily food as it may lead to weight gain and other disorders like heart problems and diabetes mellitus. Avoid consuming processed foods as they contain preservatives which can slow down metabolism and make you gain weight rapidly.
- Ø Cut back on sugar: Sugar is one of the main reasons behind hypothyroidism. So try to make it sure that you cut down on sugar as much as possible. Also avoid foods like white bread, pastries, cakes etc. cutting back on sugar is one of the best practices for Hypothyroidism.
- Ø Yoga and Pranayama: Yoga is considered as to improve all health aspects as well as the mental health. It helps in improving blood circulation and oxygen supply which is essential for proper functioning of your brain cells (neurotransmitters). Pranayama is also very useful in improving your overall health by helping to rid you from stress and anxiety. As the stress and anxiety may the cause of Hypothyroidism so yoga helps to some extent to cure the Hypothyroidism.
Understand what is Pranayama is and How to Perform Pranayama
Written by Syeda Saira