Sweet Potato Fries Ayurvedic Recipe
Sweet potatoes are lighter starchy food and are suitable for all three dosha’s. Although some books may show sweet potatoes may not be good to Kapha dosha I believe that in moderation and adding some digestive spice will make it palatable for this dosha as well. I have used Turmeric and Cumin powder for this recipe. Sweet potatoes are low in glycemic index and also have many health benefits. This is the reason I think this orange vegetable is suitable for all three doshas. Sweet potatoes are also available in purple colour! Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A, C, manganese, Vitamin B6, potassium and B5. Before I share my Sweet Potato Fries Ayurvedic Recipe, let me share some health benefits of Sweet Potatoes.
Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
- Rich in fiber therefore assist in cardio and digestive health.
- Rich in antioxidants such as beta carotene that converts into Vitamin A. Fat soluble Vitamin such as Vitamin A and Beta carotene is absorbed much better in the body when paired with the right kind of fat. For the recipe provided I am using coconut oil.
- Sweet potatoes are skin super foods and it can combat aging. This vegetable is high in Vitamin A and C.
- Has an anti-inflammatory effect in the body.
- Balances hormones.
- Balances blood sugar even though it is a root vegetable because it has a low glycemic index. Note, glycemic index means the impact a particular food has on our blood sugar levels. A high glycemic index indicates blood sugar level can spike.
- According to raw food nutritionist David Wolfe, sweet potatoes are also known to balance hormonal health.
Post a comment below and tell me which herbs and spices would you use in your sweet potato fries?
- • 1 large, organic sweet potato
- • 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- • ¼ tsp. of turmeric powder
- • ¼ tsp. of cumin powder
- • ¼ tsp. of paprika powder
- • 1 tsp. of fresh thyme and rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- • Celtic sea salt to taste
- • Black pepper, freshly grounded
- • 1 tsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Set the oven at 450F to pre heat.
- Wash, peel and cut the sweet potato like fries.
- Add turmeric, cumin, paprika, thyme and rosemary into the coconut oil and mix well.
- Massage oil on the potatoes
- Add some lemon juice and mix well.
- Spread this on the baking sheet and grill for 15-20 minutes. (Subject to how thick or thin you cut the potatoes)
- Once potatoes are done, bring them out and sprinkle with sea salt.
Hello I cannot wait to try this, but it did not say how long
to be in the oven. Thanks
Ditto Monique’s question about baking time and also how do you use the lemon juice?
CHeck recipe again – I have updated it.