Health and Beauty Benefits of Pomegranate – Fruit, Seed, Peel and Oil
Pomegranate has legendary use for health benefits in many cultures. In Indian subcontinent it is believed that this miracle fruit can take care of 100 health conditions and current data on pomegranate is showing it does have an impact on 105 diseases (Dr. Mercola). Ayurveda states that pomegranate can balance all three doshas. Depending on the taste of the fruit, if the fruit is too sour it will increase Pitta Dosha. However, eating the whole fruit with the seeds and external application of the peel and oil has shown amazing health and beauty benefits.
Botanical Name: Punica granatum
Taste: Sweet, sour and astringent
Action on Doshas: VPK (Sweet fruit balances tridosha, sour fruit can increase Pitta and may slightly increase Vata)
Post Digestive Effect or Potency: Sweet and sometimes sour
Qualities: Light and oily
Parts Used: Fruit, seeds, flowers and peel. Pomegranate oil is extracted from pomegranate seed.
Organs: Heart and Reproductive Health
Pomegranate fruit is rich in fiber, protein and many other nutrients.
Vitamins: Vitamin A, E, B5, B6, folate, pyridoxine, niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
Minerals: Calcium, copper, iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, manganese and zinc.
Fruit: ascorbic-acid, boric-acid, chlorogenic-acid, citric-acid, malic-acid, palmitic-acid, polyphenols, tannin and Punicalagins.
Seed: linoleic-acid, oleic-acid and punicic acid (seed oil)
Polyphenols in Pomegranate: ellagic acid, caffeic acid and luteolin.
Herbal Actions: Alterative, anthelmintic, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, astringent, aphrodisiac, cardiac, hemo-static, immuno-stimulant, refrigerant, skin tonic, stomachic, and vermifuge.
How to use as Food: Juice the whole pomegranate with the seeds. Make chutney, jam or raw with yogurt. Pomegranate is also used as tea. Many herbal teas formulas contain pomegranate. Pomegranate molasses is an extremely healthy sweetener that can contribute towards weight loss. Ensure not to take it with dairy.
Buy Pomegranate Molasses from Amazon.ca if you are in Canada.
Best time to consume: Fruits are best consumed in the morning or before 4 pm.
Quantity: Eat no more than 80 – 100 gram in a day.
How to use in Body Care: Fruit peel can be used as face mask, tooth/gum care and hair care. Seed oil can be applied on skin.
Drinking pomegranate concentrate or juice (even if it is pure and without added sugar) can cause acidity or can contribute towards weight gain. So always drink with the seeds.
- Do not use is you have chronic or severe constipation. Although pomegranate is known also to relieve constipation but during a chronic situation maybe best to avoid.
Fruit and Seed Benefits:
To eat it is best to derive juice from the pomegranate fruit at home without discarding the seeds. The juice alone does not provide the benefits described below therefore adding the seeds is much more beneficial. Using a high speed blender make a smoothie of the pomegranate fruit. Or eat the whole fruit alone or with yogurt.
- Ayurveda uses pomegranate to reduce fever in the body. It was found effective using in influenza.
- Pomegranate is used in Ayurveda to reduce excessive thirst and burning sensation in the throat and GI tract.
- Pomegranate has a strong impact on our cardiac health such as atherosclerosis, blood pressure (lowers BP), reduces artery clogging plaque, and reduces cholesterol.
- Pomegranate can be taken by those who have blood sugar imbalances or diabetes as the fruit contains fiber, protein and many nutrients. Take 50-80 grams of the fruit with seeds.
- Pomegranate can be taken during periods or monthly cycle to reduce PMS symptoms and cramps. Usually sour fruits are not good take during monthly cycle however pomegranate due to its nutrient content has a very positive impact on women during their periods. Pomegranate along with raw cacao or cocoa nibs is amazing during the cycle to reduce anxiety, cramps and restlessness
- Pomegranate naturally contains estrogen which has a strong impact on depression. Sweet and ripe pineapple or papaya with small amount of pomegranate can reduce depression during periods in women.
- Pomegranate contains iron that boosts hemoglobin levels. Therefore, pomegranate also assists those suffering from anemia. Pomegranate also purifies and increases blood count therefore relieves many symptoms of anemia individuals.
- The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect shows great results for people with bone health issues such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Take pomegranate for any joint or bone pain.
- The anti-inflammatory effect also has positive impact on digestive and gut health. It promotes weight loss when takes as a whole fruit. The fiber in the seeds has shown to increase friendly gut bacteria in the body.
- Ayurveda states that pomegranate is a light food which is why it digests easily in the body and supply nutrition to the body more easily. It is a useful fruit when suffering from diarrhea, dysentery, dyspepsia, IBS, heartburn, acidity and ulcerative colitis (ensure fruit is sweet not sour). For IBS, heartburn and acidity take pomegranate with yogurt which will have a cooling effect on the body.
- Pomegranate can be used for people suffering from anorexia as it can improve taste and appetite.
- Pomegranate is known to boost memory as it increase blood flow and circulation in the body.
- Pomegranate also cleanses oral and dental area. It fights cavity and gingivitis.
- Pomegranate as an aphrodisiac can improve fertility in women as it contains folic acid. Pomegranate is also known to reduce erectile dysfunction in men and improve sperm quality and count.
- The anti-carcinogenic properties in pomegranate fruit and seed show incredible benefits for people suffering from prostate cancer.
- Pomegranate also has strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal effect which makes it amazing tool to fight against infections and inflammation in the body.
- The fruit also helps increase blood flow to the lungs.
- Like beet root, pomegranate also is rich in dietary nitrates which have shown to enhance performance in athletes.
- The nutrients and antioxidant properties in pomegranate can assist the body to resist cellular damage caused by environmental pollutants. This fruit can be made into a paste for external face application.
- Pomegranate paste made from the fruit along with the seeds can be used as a mask to tighten breasts in females.
- The whole fruit is consumed on its own it reduces swelling and water retention. Hence assists in weight loss.
- When taken in combination with apples or pears it increases the metabolic rate and promotes weight loss. One can also take with yogurt in the morning for the same reason.
- Pomegranate extracts can also be used as natural antibiotic when in need of antibiotic.
- The Vitamin A content in pomegranate fruit makes it anti-aging and amazing for skin.
Pomegranate Seed Oil:
Pomegranate seeds are collected and pressed to extract pomegranate seed oil. Cold pressed and organic pomegranate seed oil is ideal for skin care.
- The oil is rich in punicic acid (polyunsaturated fatty acid) that has shown positive effect in breast and skin cancer.
- The pomegranate seed oil also promotes collagen production and helps with skin repairing.
- The ellagic acid in pomegranate seed oil is also considered anti-aging and has shown to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Pomegranate seed oil is a natural moisturizer that nourishes the skin, makes skin smooth, promotes even skin tone, skin elasticity and increase firmness of the skin.
- The red color in the pomegranate seed oil shows its richness in bioflavonoids. This is a protective gear for the skin from sun damage or sunburn.
- The pomegranate seed oil is also known to promote cell renewal and protect from dryness and pre-mature aging.
- Pomegranate seed oil also is effective against acne, dry-irritated skin, itchy skin, eczema and psoriasis.
- Pomegranate also assists in smoothing chapped lips.
- This oil is also known for its immune boosting properties when taken internally (has to be cold pressed and food grade).
- External application for muscle aches and pain is also known as well as its ability to reduce swelling.
After peeling the pomegranate instead of discarding the peel, keep it for skin and hair care use. Dehydrate the peel and grind it into a fine powder to store for longer time. This powder can be used topically and externally for health benefits. The peel can also be used raw and made into a pomegranate peel mask.
- When used as a mask (raw or dried) pomegranate peel fights skin infections such as acne, boils, pimples, rashes and cellulite’s. This is due to its antioxidant and anti-bacterial effect.
- The anti-aging effect and the high Vitamin C content of the peel also reduce wrinkles and fine line. The peel also promotes skin cell growth and reduces the chance of age spots. The raw peel can be used as a mask for even skin tone and reducing age spots.
- Pomegranate peel naturally hydrates the skin (natural moisturizer), balances the skin’s pH and protects the skin from environmental pollutants and chemical toxins. Mixed with yogurt, pomegranate peel powder can be used as a face mask. This mask will increase the natural glow of the skin.
- Applying the mask prior to going out of a hot, sunny day can prevent the skin from sun damage
- Pomegranate peel powder mixed with egg white can be used as a scrub that reduces black heads, white heads and removes dead skin.
- The peel is also used in hair masks to remove dandruff and prevent hair loss. Mix the peel powder with almond oil and massage in the scalp. Keep the mask on for an hour and wash away with a gentle toxin free hair conditioner.
- Pomegranate tea can be used to prevent osteoporosis (loss in bone density) and joint pain in women who are going through menopause.
- Pomegranate peel can be used for cleaning the teeth. prevent cavity, toothache, bleeding gum and bad breath.
- Pomegranate peel tea can be used to sore throat, sinusitis and cough.
- The peel made into tea can be a great detoxifying agent.
- The tea is effective in lowering cholesterol and strengthens the heart health. Ellagic acid in pomegranate has shown to reduce the thickness of clogged artery walls and to lower blood pressure.
- The tannins present in the peel tighten the lining of the intestine. Therefore it stops many bleeding conditions such as piles, hemorrhoids or bloody diarrhea.
How do you like to eat pomegranate? Is it easily available where you live? Please share your experience with me and ask me relevant questions with regards to Pomegranate. Share your health or beauty recipe with us.
Note: I am a Holistic Nutritionist who is passionate about food, herbs, spices and oils The information shared above is not intended to treat or cure any diseases. For serious disease or health condition please ask advice from you primary health care practitioner.