Benefits of Coconut Oil and Coconut Butter
Ok this one is a glamorous one! We will be talking about benefits of coconut oil and coconut butter. It is luxurious, smooth, slippery and delicious. It makes you beautiful and desirable and it heals you from inside out! Don’t hold your breath as this has a LONG list of benefits and uses. Check out the original blog post here and follow the rest of the posts. I have written about 130 uses of coconut!! For now here I go with coconut oil and butter….
Health benefits when taken internally
- Cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil is high is lauric acid and medium chained fatty acid that boosts metabolism and can aid in weight loss.
- Amazing for the brain health and has been studied for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Coconut oil has a high smoking point and therefore is a great cooking and baking oil.
- Due to the high smoking point this oil is ideal for deep frying.
- It can manage your blood sugar by improving insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- It can give you an immediate energy boost after consumption. I add it to my tea, coffee and smoothies.
- Combined with poppy seeds, coconut oil can help improve sleep when consumed regularly.
- Lauric acid in the oil can also get rid of intestinal parasites, tape worms, giardia etc.
- Destroys viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C etc.
- Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infection, gum disease (bleeding gums) etc.
- The anti fungal properties can get rid of yeast, candida, ringworm, athlete’s foot etc.
- When added with hot herbal tea (such as ginger) it can help smooth sore throat.
- Coconut oil can lubricate the colon if taken raw and relieve from constipation.
- It is a beneficial fat for the body that also increases the absorption of fat soluble vitamins such as A, D, E and K.
- Coconut oil is used and applied externally as a wound healer.
- It also helps to better absorb calcium and magnesium in the body.
- Coconut oil can harmonize and restore our hormones.
- Coconut oil is also known to reduce allergy symptoms.
- The fatty acids in coconut oil can increase blood concentration of ketone bodies which can result in reducing seizures.
- Coconut oil helps reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering bad cholesterol in the body.
- Can you use in exchange for butter in any vegan recipes.
- Coconut oil can be used to re heat roasted-dried meat.
Skin and hair benefits when applied externally
- I personally use it as a replacement for lotion. Yes it is coconut oil that I apply to my skin. If you are Pitta dosha this oil is highly beneficial for you as it is cooling oil.
- You can make lotion bars, deodorant and soaps using coconut oil. Check out my home made face mask recipe here.
- Coconut oil can be great massage oil especially, for Pitta dosha.
- I also use coconut oil as a face moisturiser.
- Coconut oil is not only a moisturiser but a natural cleanser. And yes you can cleanse your skin with oil to get rid of dirt and dead skin.
- Coconut oil can repair dry, flaky skin and improve skin elasticity.
- Coconut oil also is an excellent eye make-up remover. I dab a little on my hemp cloth and wipe off the make-up.
- Regular coconut oil massage can relieve eczema, acne, stretch marks and cellulite.
- It can also dim down the age spots if you apply regularly.
- Coconut oil has a natural SPF and can prevent sun burning.
- You can also use it for diaper rash.
- Replace your baby lotion with coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is extremely beneficial for sore nipples of new mothers after break feeding their child.
- It can help smooth itchy skin.
- I have grown up in a family where coconut oil is regularly applied to strengthen hair. I often used to get scalp massage with coconut oil from my mother.
- Coconut oil is used to get rid of dandruff.
- Combining coconut oil with apple cider vinegar and peppermint oil can get rid of head lice.
- Coconut oil can be used for oil pulling to promote oral health.
- It can also benefit as teeth whitening.
- Coconut oil can also stimulate hair growth when massaged in the scalp daily.
- Applied on skin it can get rid of nail fungus etc.
- Coconut oil can also relieve from UTI pain applied externally.
- It can also be applied as a natural lubricant for both men and women.
- Men can use coconut oil instead of shaving cream or lotion.
- Coconut oil can be applied inside your nose or ear to avoid infections and reduce seasonal allergy symptoms.
- Can be applied after tattooing your skin to reduce inflammation.
- You can make homemade mascara, eye liner and other beauty products from coconut oil.
Home cleaning and uses of coconut oil:
- Coconut oil can be used to season cast iron skillets,
- It can used to condition wooden chopping board and spoons.
- Coconut oil can be used to polish metals and stainless steel utensils.
- It can polish leather made products and shoes.
- It can lubricate bicycle chains, guitar strings and unstuck glued items.
- Can remove chewing gum from hair, carpet and/or other fabrics.
- Coconut oil can clean wooden surface and leave a shine.
- Can remove stubborn stain and clean surfaces in kitchen and bathroom.
- Coconut oil can be used to clean mascara brushes and cream/lotion containers.
Benefits of Coconut butter:
- Contains all the benefits in coconut oil and can be used as a butter substitute for bread and toast. It is made by coconut oil and flesh blended together.
- It can also be used in making ice creams and icings for cakes.
- Coconut butter calms over stimulated nerves and aids anxiety.
- Supports thyroid and metabolism function of the body.
- Coconut butter strengthens the liver.
Leave a comment below and tell me how do you use your coconut oil?
Where do you purchase your coconut oil from?
Have you ever consumed it RAW?
Did you know there were so many benefits of coconut oil and butter??
Hey this might be a stupid question, but my mom bought the Artisana Coconut Butter by accident instead of the Coconut Oil that i normally get at an organic store.. well for one she’s not a good english speaker, and two she thinks butter and oil are the same.
my question is this, i know that Coconut oil is very diverse in its use, i personally use it on EVERYTHING… hair, face, body, food etc. and LOVE what it does to my skin and hair… CAN COCONUT BUTTER be used for all of those things as well> or would you recommend strictly ingesting it rather than applying topically.
just wanted to make sure before i slather it on my body and then be all sticky and sweet 🙂 ..
let me know what you think!
Yes you can melt it and use it. Because it is butter it has higher fat content and may make you feel sticky (depending on t he body type you have). Try melting it and use it but coconut is always good for external and internal use!
Thank you so much 🙂
Thanks so much for this post! I usually use coconut oil in my smoothies and for oil pulling, but decided to give coconut butter a try yesterday instead. I was a little weary about doing oil pulling with a butter, but after some research I found out that the only difference (besides the whole coconut being used for coconut butter instead of just the oil) is that coconut oil is put through a cold expresser process to get the oil out. Coconut butter is made using a low-temperature process (below 115° F.) that preserves vital enzymes, fiber, vitamins, and proteins that coconut oil does not have. Coconuts are 65% percent oil, so it’s not as potent as straight up oil, but it sure is tastier! 🙂 thanks so much for your post.
You are welcome. You may want to consider using sesame seed oil for Oil Pulling. It is fantastic!
Hi, I would like to know if Coconut butter or oil would be a benefit at all for gout which is high uric acid in your body. I have gout in my hand and it is very painful and debilitating.
Kathy, You can certainly give it a try. However if you have gout – two things you can consider, after speaking with your doctor are 1. Cherry Juice (no sugar and organic) 2. Eliminate grains from your diet to see how it goes.
Great post very informative.
I use this myself as part of my vegan diet and externally. Great eye make up remover too. I wasn’t aware that it had anti-fungal properties though.
This would be my first time using MaraNatha all natural Coconut Butter i would really like to use it on my hair since i have thin curly hair and need to keep it moisturize. Is it safe to use on hair?
Use coconut oil instead of butter. Yes i used it myself. Lightly warm the oil in your hand and apply on the scalp. Enure a good brand.
should i use coconut oil or butter to put on my skin?
Oil much better.
Hi there. I have been pulling using coconut oil but by accident I brought coconut butter can I still use it for pulling my teeth?
You can use butter by melting it a little. I prefer the oil.
Can I use coconut butter on my hair I accidentally bought butter instead of the oil
You may have to melt before using. So much easier if you use coconut oil.
Hi! I have extra virgin coconut butter. I bought it thinking it was coconut oil. Can I use this as oil pulling? Swish it around in my mouth to clean/whiten my teeth? I’m assuming by all of these comments and your article it has the same affects as coconut oil right?
Yes. However melt it before swishing and next tie purchase either sesame oil or coconut oil.
Very helpful and Great information,
we appreciate advise especially coming from a professional.
Thanks again and keep up the great work!
could I use coconut butter in oil phase in face cream formula?
I’m allergic to coconut oil, water and milk, and seem to do better with external applications of coconut butter. I really want to replace my toothpaste, so I’ve been using coconut butter for a week now. My questions: Is this just as effective as coconut oil? If not, is it safe for me if my allergic reaction to coconut oil consumption is immediate throat swelling? I ask since digesting begins with the saliva in the mouth.
i would never use coconut oil if I was allergic to it. Use sesame seed oil instead.
Using coconut oil for skin is an all-natural way to eliminate many of the toxic ingredients that are found on drugstore shelves. Here is how to use coconut oil naturally and what the health benefits of it. Read More.
I didn’t know that coconut oil relieves skin blemishes like acne and eczema as well as stimulates hair growth. My oldest daughter is getting to be a teenager and I know she’ll start maturing. I’ll talk to my wife about getting her some coconut oil-based products to help her control her skin and hair as she grows.