Ok this one is a glamorous one! We will be talking about benefits of coconut oil and coconut butter. It is luxurious, smooth, slippery and delicious. It makes you beautiful and desirable and it heals you from inside out! Don’t hold your breath as this has a LONG list of benefits and uses. Check out the original blog post here and follow the rest of the posts. I have written about 130 uses of coconut!! For now here I go with coconut oil and butter….
Health benefits when taken internally
- Cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil is high is lauric acid and medium chained fatty acid that boosts metabolism and can aid in weight loss.
- Amazing for the brain health and has been studied for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Coconut oil has a high smoking point and therefore is a great cooking and baking oil.
- Due to the high smoking point this oil is ideal for deep frying.
- It can manage your blood sugar by improving insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- It can give you an immediate energy boost after consumption. I add it to my tea, coffee and smoothies.
- Combined with poppy seeds, coconut oil can help improve sleep when consumed regularly.
- Lauric acid in the oil can also get rid of intestinal parasites, tape worms, giardia etc.
- Destroys viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C etc.
- Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infection, gum disease (bleeding gums) etc.
- The anti fungal properties can get rid of yeast, candida, ringworm, athlete’s foot etc.
- When added with hot herbal tea (such as ginger) it can help smooth sore throat.
- Coconut oil can lubricate the colon if taken raw and relieve from constipation.
- It is a beneficial fat for the body that also increases the absorption of fat soluble vitamins such as A, D, E and K.
- Coconut oil is used and applied externally as a wound healer.
- It also helps to better absorb calcium and magnesium in the body.
- Coconut oil can harmonize and restore our hormones.
- Coconut oil is also known to reduce allergy symptoms.
- The fatty acids in coconut oil can increase blood concentration of ketone bodies which can result in reducing seizures.
- Coconut oil helps reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering bad cholesterol in the body.
- Can you use in exchange for butter in any vegan recipes.
- Coconut oil can be used to re heat roasted-dried meat.
Skin and hair benefits when applied externally
- I personally use it as a replacement for lotion. Yes it is coconut oil that I apply to my skin. If you are Pitta dosha this oil is highly beneficial for you as it is cooling oil.
- You can make lotion bars, deodorant and soaps using coconut oil. Check out my home made face mask recipe here.
- Coconut oil can be great massage oil especially, for Pitta dosha.
- I also use coconut oil as a face moisturiser.
- Coconut oil is not only a moisturiser but a natural cleanser. And yes you can cleanse your skin with oil to get rid of dirt and dead skin.
- Coconut oil can repair dry, flaky skin and improve skin elasticity.
- Coconut oil also is an excellent eye make-up remover. I dab a little on my hemp cloth and wipe off the make-up.
- Regular coconut oil massage can relieve eczema, acne, stretch marks and cellulite.
- It can also dim down the age spots if you apply regularly.
- Coconut oil has a natural SPF and can prevent sun burning.
- You can also use it for diaper rash.
- Replace your baby lotion with coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is extremely beneficial for sore nipples of new mothers after break feeding their child.
- It can help smooth itchy skin.
- I have grown up in a family where coconut oil is regularly applied to strengthen hair. I often used to get scalp massage with coconut oil from my mother.
- Coconut oil is used to get rid of dandruff.
- Combining coconut oil with apple cider vinegar and peppermint oil can get rid of head lice.
- Coconut oil can be used for oil pulling to promote oral health.
- It can also benefit as teeth whitening.
- Coconut oil can also stimulate hair growth when massaged in the scalp daily.
- Applied on skin it can get rid of nail fungus etc.
- Coconut oil can also relieve from UTI pain applied externally.
- It can also be applied as a natural lubricant for both men and women.
- Men can use coconut oil instead of shaving cream or lotion.
- Coconut oil can be applied inside your nose or ear to avoid infections and reduce seasonal allergy symptoms.
- Can be applied after tattooing your skin to reduce inflammation.
- You can make homemade mascara, eye liner and other beauty products from coconut oil.
Home cleaning and uses of coconut oil:
- Coconut oil can be used to season cast iron skillets,
- It can used to condition wooden chopping board and spoons.
- Coconut oil can be used to polish metals and stainless steel utensils.
- It can polish leather made products and shoes.
- It can lubricate bicycle chains, guitar strings and unstuck glued items.
- Can remove chewing gum from hair, carpet and/or other fabrics.
- Coconut oil can clean wooden surface and leave a shine.
- Can remove stubborn stain and clean surfaces in kitchen and bathroom.
- Coconut oil can be used to clean mascara brushes and cream/lotion containers.
Benefits of Coconut butter:
- Contains all the benefits in coconut oil and can be used as a butter substitute for bread and toast. It is made by coconut oil and flesh blended together.
- It can also be used in making ice creams and icings for cakes.
- Coconut butter calms over stimulated nerves and aids anxiety.
- Supports thyroid and metabolism function of the body.
- Coconut butter strengthens the liver.
Leave a comment below and tell me how do you use your coconut oil?
Where do you purchase your coconut oil from?
Have you ever consumed it RAW?
Did you know there were so many benefits of coconut oil and butter??