20 Benefits of Chyawanprash – A Rejuvenating and Anti-Aging Tonic
I have been meaning to write about my most favourite elixir Chyawanprash. So here I am today, talking about – 20 Benefits of Chyawanprash – A Rejuvenating and Anti-Aging Tonic. Exciting!!
One of the best known Ayurvedic Tonics – known as the Elixir of Life is Chyawanprash. According to Ayurveda, Chyawanprash comes under the category of ‘Rasayana’ which aims at maintaining youthfulness, vigor, vitality of the body and keeping away aging process, senility and debility. It maintains the proper functioning of the cells and keeps away diseases. It has a consistency of Jam and contains of about 35 natural herbs including Amla (Embellica Officinalis) the richest natural source of vitamin C. Acharya Charaka was the first to mention Chyawanprash as a herbal medicine for anti-aging.
History of Chyawanprash
There is a very interesting story behind discovery of chyawanprash. Long, long ago, there was a Sage in India named Chyawan who lived in a forest. His hair was matted and he was covered with tree growth after years of meditating in the same place. A young princess was blindfolded and dancing in the forest when her hands touched the hair of the sage. Her father, the king, explained to the sage that it was the custom in his country that a woman could only touch one man in her lifetime. He thus requested the sage to marry to daughter. Chyawan asked if he could have two months to prepare for the wedding for he wished to be young again so as to offer his wife conjugal bliss. Thereupon, he developed the recipe for longevity that has remained India’s most popular remedy, some say for 2000 years, others since the times of the Vedas.
Various Indian holy books such as the Mahabharat, Puranas state that the Royal Vaids, names Ashwini Kumar Brothers (twins), prepared this formula Rishi Chyawan (Sage Chyawan). Acharaya Charaka was first to document it.
Chyawanprash is balances Vata and Kapha. It has a neutral or minimal effect on Pitta dosha.
How Much Chyawanprash to Consume?
One can take 1-2 teaspoon of Chyawanprash everyday. It is recommended to take Chyawanprash with warm cup of cow’s milk every morning 15 minutes before breakfast. Milk is recommended due to the fact that Chyawanprash has heating quality. Milk being cold in energetics will mitigate the heating effect from Chyawanprash.
Who can Take Chyawanprash?
Chyawanprash can be given to children from 5 years onwards. It is the best elixir for everyone.
Chyawanprash Health Benefits
Over forty years old people should take the course of using Chyawanprash once a year in order to cleanse the body, improve the performance of all systems of the organism. Chyawanprash health benefits are as follows:
1. Protects against colds and infections. It is effectively used in throat and chest infection.
2. Normalizes menstruation, reduces premenstrual syndrome, and relieves pain below the abdomen area.
3. Chyawanprash is used in pulmonary tuberculosis.
4. Improves sexual activity.
5. It assists with rejuvenation especially in elderly people and offers proper nourishment for the younger generation.
6. Removes toxins by purifying the blood, liver and intestines.
7. Chyawanprash is used for treating gout.
8. Enhances the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract and improves digestive power.
9. To achieve lustrous and glowing skin as well strengthen the organs, take Chyawanprash everyday.
10. Normalizes the endocrine system.
11. Improves blood results, increases hemoglobin, and lowers cholesterol level.
12. Improves intelligence and memory power. Including the memory improving herbs, Chyawanprash also contains ghee that assists with intelligence and memory.
13. Normalizes blood pressure.
14. Activates and strengthens the immune system increases the body resistance.
15. Chyawanprash improves the nutritional levels in the body tissues.
16. It improves the oxygen supply in the tissues and delays aging of cells.
17. It can assist in reducing the chances of greying hair, wrinkles and early signs of aging.
18. Eliminates consequences of stress, decrease chronic fatigue syndrome.
19. Strengthens hair and nails.
20. Promotes weight loss by normalizing the body’s metabolism.
Where to Buy Chyawanprash from?
Try Nature’s Formulary Chyawanprash.
Herbs included in Chyawanprash
Today, there are many recipes for Chyawanprash, ranging in ingredients. However the main ingredient, is always amla or amalaki, a tropical gooseberry that is the world’s richest source of vitamin C.
This powerhouse of an antioxidant rich jam contains various ingredients and herbs such as
Bilwa (Aegle marmelos), Agnimantha (Premna corymbosa), Shyonaka (oroxylum indicum), Gambhari (Gmelina arborea), Patala (stereospermum suaveolens), bala (sida cordifolia), Mashaparni (Teramnus labialis), Mudgaparni (Vina trilobata), Prishnaparni (Uraria picta), Shalaparni (Desmodium gangeticum), Pippali (Long pepper), Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), Brihati (solanum indicum), kantakari (solanum xanthocarpum), karkata Shrungi (pistasia integerrima), Taamalaki (phyllanthus fraturnus), Draksha (dry grapes), jeevanti (Leptodenia reticulata), Pushkara(Inula racemosa), Agaru (Aquilaria agallocha), Hareetaki (Terminalia chebula), Ruddhi (Habenaria intermedia), Jeevaka (Microstylis muscifera), Vrishabhaka (Microstylis wallichi), Shati (Hedychium spicatum), Musta (cyperus rotundus), Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa), Meda (Polygonatum cirrhifolium), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), Chandana (Santalum album), Utpala (Nymphaea stellata), Vidari (Ipomea digitata), Vrushamula (Adhatoda vasica), kakoli (Lilium poilyphyleum), Kakanasika (Martynia diandra) – all these herbs are taken 50 grams each.
These herbs are used in powdered form. These beautiful, powerful and medicinal herbs are commonly found in Himalaya and other parts of India.
Written by: Gull Rizwan H.F.N and Nahid Ameen C.N.P
Amrut Jeevan chyawanprash is a very good product for your immune system.I had purchased this product online from Amazon at a discounted price and I am sharing my experience with this product. It is made of herbs, jadibuti that are purely ayurvedic. It is a very effective product I recommend you to consume it on a regular basis.
Amrut Jeevan chyawanprash is a very good product for your immune system. I am sharing my experience with this product. It is made of herbs, jadibuti that are purely ayurvedic. It is a very effective product I recommend you to consume it on a regular basis.
It’s good for hair,skin n immunity.
It’s a porridge for curing all health issues,.
Gives strength to be active n attentive in studies n activities
Consuming ayurvedic products has some don’t s such as avoiding non veg, onions, n brinjal.
Thanks for sharing. Chyawanprash is widely used in winters because of its health benefits. I have learned about it and its ingredient’s health benefits like amla from iahas.com . Since then, I am using it. Keep posting great stuff.