Today I am writing about my most favourite essential oil blend by Young Living. Thieves Essential Oil: What it is and 40 ways to use Thieves Oil
Anyone who knows me and my hubby well enough, understands our obsession with Thieves essential oil blend formula. They know we use to clean our kitchen, bathroom, floor, water filter and any surface. We take it with us when we travel to keep any harmful microbes away. We rub it (diluted of course) under our feet, we inhale it and we make fun recipes using Thieves essential oil.
We learned about Thieves from Young Living Essential Oils (YLEO). We started using YLEO since 2009 and had fallen in love with Thieves since then. Although I do not go anywhere without Lavender and Peppermint oil (many uses of these oils) – Thieves is something we will not cross border without. And I know we will never run out of Thieves in this house.
About Thieves Essential Oil Blend:
Young Living’s Thieves® was created based on research about four thieves in France who covered themselves with cloves, rosemary, and other aromatic herbs and spices while robbing plague victims (sometimes dead plague victims). Based on the story, Young Living created their own proprietary blend of Thieves essential oil. This particular blend was university tested for its cleansing abilities. It is highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health.
Additional Thieves® Products by Young Living:
Utilizing the power and protection of Thieves essential oil blend, Young Living created an extensive line of plant-based household products. From toothpaste and mouthwash to cleaning products, hand soaps, and even throat lozenges, the Thieves product line provides safe, effective alternatives for use in the home. They are
1. Thieves® Household Cleaner,
2. Thieves® Spray,
3. Thieves® Wipes,
4. Thieves® Lozenges,
5. Thieves® Dentarome Plus™
6. Thieves® Dentarome Ultra™ toothpastes,
7. Thieves® Fresh Essence Plus™ Mouthwash.
YUM!! And they have Thieves® oil blend as an integral ingredient.
The Thieves Story:
In the 15th century, vast areas of Europe were ravaged by The Black Death. The Plague was an airborne disease that easily affected anyone who came in close proximity with those ill from it. The reaches of its infection, however, was not limited to bodily harm. The pandemic also gave a hard blow to the economy and left many severely poorer than they had grown accustomed to. Legend says that this economic crash pushed a band of spice merchants to become thieves in order to sustain themselves. However, as most of their prospective ‘victims’ were falling or were to fall gravely ill from the fast spreading disease, they had to find a way to protect themselves before think about getting close enough the sick and weak to rob them. So, they blended the essential oils of a handful of potently medicinal ingredients in order to escape the wrath of the Plague as they stole whatever riches they could find in the dying or dead infected Europeans. When the King heard of their looting, they were hunted down and caught for their crimes. Their choices, when the King heard about how they were able to steal from the plagued and live to tell the tale, were to be burned at the stake for their crimes and for suspicion of the usage of witchcraft, or share their secret formula of “immunity”. They chose the latter and their blend, as well as variations of it, is still used today and has been proven by a study at Weber State University in Utah to have antibacterial, antiseptic and antiviral, and immune-stimulating properties, even able to kill up to 99% of airborne bacteria.
Thieves® Blend by Young Living:
The Thieves Oil® Recipe made by Young Living, is composed of the organic essential oils of the following ingredients:
Clove (Syzgium aromaticum): Cloves are rich is eugenol – commonly used by dentists for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties – and scores highest on the ORAC scale for antioxidant properties.
Lemon (Citrus limon): Lemon oil is another antioxidant that is able to also be used as a natural cleanser.
Cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum): Cinnamon bark, also high in antioxidants, is known for its ability to support the digestive system and improve circulation.
Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus polybractea): Eucalyptus has been reported to be an effective means to fight bacterial infections when used topically.
Rosemary (Rocmarinus officinalis): An energizing essential oil – Rosemary can help in restoring mental alertness when experiencing feelings of intense fatigue and fight lung infections.
Find out where to find this amazing blend here.
How to Use Thieves®:
Thieves® can be used in many ways such as aromatic, topical and dietary. When using for massage dilute few drops of oil with a carrier oil such as coconut or sesame seed oil. As per Young Living when using as a dietary supplement add a drop to half a cup of milk (rice, almond, dairy or goat’s milk). Diffuse for half hour or less to make the environment to eliminate odor and airborne bacteria. Diffusing Thieves oil can boost your immune system and energize your body.
1. Pimple: Put a drop of Thieves oil on a pimply or acne affected area to shrink it fast without leaving any mark.
2. Wounds: Dilute 2-3 drops in half a cup of oil and mix well. Apply the mix to cuts or open wounds to prevent infections or promote faster healing.
3. Bronchitis: Dilute the oil and apply on upper chest and throat area.
4. Cold & Flu: Dilute and apply under the feet during season change to avoid getting cold and flu.
5. Bee stings and insect bites: Apply to bee stings and insect bites to relieve pain and neutralize toxins from the insects.
6. Toe Nail Fungus: Apply 3-5 drops of Thieves oil diluted with coconut oil on the affected area.
7. Poison Ivy: Apply few drops of Thieves oil to combat poison ivy rashes and to stop the itch.
8. Bone Health: Apply on bones and joints to get relief from pain and discomfort.
9. Lymphatic Detox: Apply a drop or two under the arms for a lymph detox.
10. Chakra Balancing: Apply to chakra points to balance chakras.
11. Dosha Balancing: Excellent to balance Kapha and Vata Dosha. Apply a few drops under the feet mixed with carrier oil.
12. Shingles: Dilute 3-4 drops of Thieves oil in carrier oil and gently massage to get relief from shingles.
1. Immune Boosting: Dilute 4-6 drops of Thieves oil and dilute with a tablespoon of olive oil. Open a ‘00’ vegetable capsule and put the mix in the capsule and take it as a dietary supplement.
2. Acne: Take oil internally as mentioned on Dietary Use Immune Boosting as well as apply on the skin (effected area) diluted with olive or jojoba oil.
3. Oral Hygiene: Mix a few drops in sesame seed oil or coconut oil and swish around your mouth.
4. Cold and Flu: Add a drop in a glass of orange juice to prevent cold and flu symptoms.
5. Gum Health: Apply to gum or use it with herbal tooth powder to get relief from gum diseases and cavity.
6. Toothache: Add a drop or two on to the affected area to get relief from toothache.
7. Headache: Put a drop on your finger tip and apply to the roof of your mouth.
8. Lyme Disease: Take Thieves in a capsule every day to get relief from Lyme disease symptoms. (Must take medical advice from your primary physician).
9. Laryngitis: Put a drop of Thieves oil under your tongue diluted in olive oil to restore your voice.
Diffuse or Inhale:
1. Airborne Bacteria: To reduce the count of airborne bacteria, use the Young Living diffuser (comes with the Premium Starter Kit) to add a few drops on Thieves oil in water. Diffuse for 15-20 minutes.
2. Lung Congestion: Add a drop on the palm of your hand and inhale the vapour to assist with lung congestion.
3. Allergy: Inhale a drop of Thieves oil to get relief from allergy symptoms.
4. Sinus Headache: Inhale to get relief from headaches caused by sinusitis.
5. Focus: Diffuse Thieves essential oil at work when you need concentration and efficiency.
6. Uplift: Diffuse to uplift mood and stimulate positive feelings.
I highly recommend using Thieves® Household Cleaner for the following or use the oil as mentioned below.
1. Surface: Clean kitchen counters, floor or any surface area using a few drops of Thieves oil in water.
2. Dishwasher: Use a few drops in you dishwasher to cleaner and disinfected crockeries.
3. Laundry: Add a few drops with your chemical-free laundry detergent for better smelling clothes.
4. Carpet Cleaner: Add a few drops of Thieves oil to a carpet steamer to disinfect carpets.
5. Mop: Add a few drops of Thieves essential oil to your mop water for cleaner, bacteria free and great smelling floor.
6. Bathtub: Mix 6-8 drops of Thieves essential oil with baking soda to clean bathtubs, wash basins and bathroom floor.
7. Bins: Put a few drops of Thieves oil on a kitchen towel and put the kitchen towel under the garbage bin.
8. Marks and Stains: Apply to the surface of hard to clean areas to see a better results, including cookware, ink and marker stains.
9. Label remover: Use a few drops of essential oil to remove gummy price labels from products.
Use Thieves® Spray or the oil as mentioned below:
1. Plants: Use the Thieves® Spray to repel insects on your flowers and plants.
2. Disinfect: Use spray to disinfect any surface area (toilet seats).
3. Deodorize Air: Dump the chemical air fresheners and use Thieves spray to have a fresh smelling room.
4. Negative Vibrations: Use Thieves spray to clear any negative vibrations.
5. Sore Throat: Use spray during sore throat.
• Do not use during pregnancy and breast feeding.
• Do not give it to children under 18 years of age.
• Avoid using on pets if you are not experienced.
• Repeated use or overuse can cause sensitization.
• Can cause extreme skin irritation, especially if used without dilution.
How to get this amazing product?
Always, only use essential oils that are truly 100% pure, and Therapeutic Grade such as Young Living Essential Oils. Oils that are cut or synthetic can have dangerous side effects. Read where to get Young Living Oils here and for more information, email me directly or comment to this post.
If you would like to
1. Get Thieves Oil at a 24% discount
2. Sign up with Young Living as an Independent Distributor
3. Start up a Part Time Business
You can sign up here with the Start Living with Thieves Kit (Item #3694)
If you are already a Young Living Distributor and you would like to add the Thieves Collection to your Essential Rewards Order each month, you will save up to $65.00 by purchasing the products this way AND you will earn $11 in FREE Product Credit, each month. Find out more about the Essential Rewards Program here.
By Nahid Ameen C.N.P & Asya Twahir