This is one crazy delicious soup! Suitable for mostly Vata and Pitta dosha. If you are Kapha body type add more lentils and less sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potatoes: They are high in Vitamin A, C, B3, B5 and B6. Rich in Manganese, Copper, Potassium and fiber. According to renowned Nutritionist David Wolfe Sweet Potatoes or Yams are great for balancing our hormones. They are also rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Red Lentils: Lentils are rich in Protein (Tryptophan) and fiber. Minerals found in lentils are Molybdenum, Manganese, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium and Copper. They are also rich in Vitamin B1 and Folate.
Enjoy the recipe! Post in the comment section after you tasted the Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup Recipe!
- • 1 Tablespoon of ghee
- • 1 red onion, chopped
- • 2 inch piece of ginger, minced
- • 2 teaspoon of curry powder
- • 3 cups of skinned sweet potatoes, cubed (approx. 2 sweet potatoes)
- • ½ cup red lentils, pre-soaked for 20 minutes
- • 5 cups of homemade chicken or vegetable broth
- • 1 ½ cups of coconut milk
- • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- • Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Pre-soak lentils for an hour or minimum 30 minutes.
- In a pot, heat ghee over medium heat.
- Sauté onion until soft.
- Add sweet potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add ginger, currypowder and stir well.
- Add lentils and broth to the pot and cover. Bring to a boil and then
- simmer for 20-30 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender and lentils are cooked.
- Use a hand-held blender inside the pot to make the soup smooth.
- Stir in the coconut milk and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.