Ginger, turmeric, cardamom and galangal all belong to zingiberaceae or the ginger family. Zingiberaceae, are a family of flowering plants consisting of aromatic perennial herbs with rhizomes. Rhizomes are knobby underground stems that have pungent and flavorful flesh.
5 benefits of spices from the ginger family
In Ayurveda Ginger is known as the “Universal Medicine” and is consumed as a spice and medicine. It is well known for its usage in digestive and respiratory diseases.
- Ginger relieves nausea and vomiting. Therefore it is extremely useful for pregnant women.
- It also relieves inflammation and pain experienced in Arthritis.
- It can kindle the digestive fire [stimulating HCl] and improve digestion.
- Ginger improves circulation in our body and keeps us warm.
- It is good remedy for common cold, cough and flu.
You can find high quality ginger powder in the Conscious Health Shop.
Fresh root of turmeric looks like a skinny version of ginger. Turmeric is known to heal the “whole person” and it is good for all three dosha’s [body type].
- Turmeric helps digestion, maintains intestinal flora (beneficial bacteria’s), and reduces gas.
- Turmeric can be used as an antiseptic for small cuts, wounds and burns.
- It helps reduce anxiety and stress.
- It purifies the blood, and improves formation of new blood tissue.
- Turmeric is well known for its use as a skin tonic.
You can find high quality turmeric powder in the Conscious Health Shop.
Cardamoms are the dried fruits of the perennial herbs. There are two types of cardamom available in the market: green and the black cardamom. It is the third most expensive spice in the world after saffron and vanilla.
- Cardamom acts as an expectorant that opens up and cleans congestion in lungs and throat, allowing us to breathe freely.
- It also improves circulation and increases blood flow.
- Cardamom is one of the safest digestive stimulants. helps relieve intestinal gas and bloating while encouraging good digestion.
- Drinking coffee is stressful to the adrenal gland. Therefore adding ginger and cardamom to the coffee will neutralize this effect.
- Cardamom can be used for bad breath and gum disorders.
You can find premium cardamom powder in the Conscious Health Shop.
Ginger & Turmeric Pickle Recipe:
1/4 cup of fresh organic ginger, sliced
1/4 cup of fresh organic turmeric, sliced
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. of Hingvastak
1 tsp. of black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. of chili powder
2 tsp. of salt
Juice of a of a lemon
1. Slice ginger and turmeric without removing the skin. [if using organic source)
2. Heat some oil in the pan and add the spices. When the mustard seeds start to pop, turn the burner off. Add the spice mixture with the ginger and turmeric.
3. In a glass jar put the ginger, turmeric, rest of the oil, salt and lemon juice.
4. This can be stored for 2-3 months.