Take the challenge! Starting tomorrow I am doing a 5 day Ayurvedic Detox or cleansing using food and water. Why don’t you join me?
We live inside our houses and we clean it to keep it organized, fresh and livable! We also live in our bodies however how many times do we clean our body? Once a year? Twice a year? How many times do we need to clean the house in a week to keep it clean? Does that mean we should be detox more often? YES! It does not have to be a rigorous fasting, or complete panch karma (the complete Ayurvedic detoxification process) or even master cleanse – we can do internal cleansing at least once a month without stressing about fasting, intense supplement regime or a major lifestyle change.
We can do a simple detox using food and water. This does not mean that I do not recommend more disciplined detox regime – you must consider detoxifyng as your nutritionist or naturopathic doctor recommends. I am only sharing with you some simple detoxification process that you can do on your own using what you have around you.
If you have never done a detox – than there is some learning and preparation required however, if you have done detox before this may be easier for you. Easier but effective for sure.
My Food Choices:
- I will be avoiding any food that can create an accumulation of mucus or toxins. Therefore no packaged canned, frozen foods as well as minimize consumption of leftover foods.
- Drink a minimum of 6 tall glasses of warm water every day.
- I will be favouring vegetarian foods that are cooked lightly using less heating spices. So I will be avoiding too much onion and garlic. Fresh lentil soups, and stir fried leafy greens would be something I would be eating.
- I will be avoiding eggs, dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese) and wheat (bread, pasta) for the next 5 days.
- I will be including fruits that are high in fiber, contains digestive enzymes and balances hormones such as apples, pears, figs, prunes, papaya and pineapples. I will choose 2-3 variety from these fruits.
- I will also be looking into which foods will be good for balancing my dosha and keep the shopping list according to that list.
- I will be adding “ghee” or “butter oil” in my diet. Check the blog I wrote about the benefits of ghee.
- I will add a glass of green juice a day.
Eating Habits That I Will Be Following:
- I will have 3 meals a day and nothing in between. Exception is the green juice and a cleansing tea. Freshly made green juice can also be my breakfast. The tea and the juice will not replace my 6 glass of water.
- I will not be skipping any meals.
- When detoxing it is important not to mix too many different types of foods together. Therefore to keep it simple – I will have khichari with sautéed broccoli for lunch and lentil soup with spinach for dinner.
- I will get “Triphala” powder and drink it every day. I just have to mix ¼ tsp. with 1 glass of hot water and steep for 5 minutes. I usually strain, add very little honey and drink it during the day. You can find “Triphala” at any Indian grocery store or at any health food store. Powder is preferred over capsules or tablets but do your best.
- Since I am avoiding dairy I will add a probiotic to my regime. You can easily substitute that with sauerkraut, kimchi or coconut yogurt. In today’s world the options are unlimited. You can also make fermented coconut water. I will share the recipe later.
- I will be drinking half cup of a green juice or chlorella tablets. If you have a blender like Vitamix or Blendtec or a juicer it makes it easy to make homemade juices.
Ayurvedic Cleansing Habits:
Additionally I will be doing a warm salt water rinse for my oral health.
Recommended Kitchen Habits:
If you are going to follow me than you should know a few of my kitchen habits that I do not comprise during detox. You can do the same if you wish.
- Use only Himalayan rock salt – you can find either pink or white Himalayan rock salt at any health food store. Make sure it is from a trusted brand.
- Do ‘no oil cooking’ if possible. Cook with vegetable stock to flavour your food. However you can always add ¼ tsp. of ghee with your meal. You can find a recipe on my free ebook when you sign up for my newsletter.
- Avoid at cost all forms of sugar but raw honey. Limit your honey intake to 1 tsp. a day.
- For your Khichari recipe – you can use white basmati rice that is either organic or unpolished. If you cannot find it than consider brown rice. Make sure you presoak the rice for 8 hours for better digestibility.
- Stay away from people, memories and incidents that can cause negative thinking, fear, anxiety or stress. Make an effort for this. Maybe don’t watch the news for 5 days?
- Meditate or say your prayers. I cannot stress enough how much this will help you. If you are a Yogu then do a gentle digestive Asana routine, followed by pranayama. This make it easy to go on a meditative state.
As I am completing my blog writing – I am getting ready to have my oatmeal with almond milk. A simple and filling breakfast! Lunch will be a bowl of lentil soup with leafy greens. So what are you waiting for? Post your comments below and tell me if you are in it with me!
Conscious Health’s Fab and Glowing Ayurvedic Detox Program:
In Ayurveda Panchkarma is recommended under practitioner’s supervision. India is the best place to go to for a complete detoxification. However if you want to do a more complete diet or food detox along with some Ayurvedic cleansing rituals please look into the Conscious Health’s Fab and Glow Ayurvedic Detox or cleanse.
I knew that not everyone would want to go through a clinical Panchakarma. At the same time many understands the importance of a Detox or a complete cleanse. Therefore Conscious Health created a simple home detox program based on your body type as well as your lifestyle preference. The program promotes foods that are specific for your body type and promotes a hypoallergenic diet keeping in mind modern lifestyle. It eliminates junk and refined processed foods and reintroduces you to new flavours using spices and herbs.
It is a step by step guide not only to cleanse your body but also to bring your Dosha into balance.
What makes this program unique from the others? Well, this program is UNIQUE as it is based on the SIX different variations.
Why six? Well, as you know, there are THREE body types which exist in Ayurveda; Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. As a result, we have decided to create a program specific to your own body type.
We also did not want to exclude people who are not vegetarians or vegans and people who still wants to participate in the program. Therefore we have six versions of the program – One for each Dosha and two for each dosha Type.
Note that the vegetarian version of the program is also suitable for Vegans. Click on the above link (for the one that interests you) for more details.
PLEASE TAKE THE DOSHA QUIZ TO DETERMINED WHICH DETOX OR CLEANSE IS RIGHT FOR YOU.
Highlights of the Fab and Glowing Ayurvedic Detox Program:
a. Focuses on the ‘body-type’ approach, which takes into consideration one’s lifestyle preferences (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, or non-vegetarian)
b. Assists individuals in preparing detoxifying meals in their own kitchens
c. Caters specifically to one’s Dosha – Vata, Pitta or Kapha diet, lifestyle and yoga practices.
Note, please speak with your doctor or primary health care practitioner for any major dietary changes. This is your responsibility to understand what your body is capable of at any given time. If you are pregnant, have any major health issue or taking prescription drugs then I suggest not to do a detox without the consent of your health care practitioner.